The South Gate Church has been serving the spiritual needs of the Hamilton mountain community for over 65 years. Reverend Dr. T. Melville Bailey, a former TH&B railway truck driver, had a vision to enrich the lives of people living on the Hamilton mountain by teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
As a student minister in 1949, Reverend Bailey grew The South Gate Church congregation from a handful of parishioners in Buchanan Hall on Upper James Street to a thriving congregation now worshiping in our existing building on Clarendon Avenue that he helped construct in 1954. Reverend Bailey retired after 31 years of dedicated ministry at The South Gate Church.
After Reverend Bailey’s retirement, we were very fortunate to be led by Reverend Reid Thompson. Reverend Thompson moved to the Ottawa area to be closer to his family and Reverend Robert Geddes, with his positive attitude and dedication to Christ, became our new minister. Reverend Bob retired and is now our Minister Emeritus.
Our minister, The Rev. Charmain Sebestyen retired in 2020. Currently the congregation is discerning plans for the future, under the guidance of our Interim Moderator, The Rev. Steve Baldry.
Our journey with Christ continues. Come and be a part of it!